So some changes coming slowly as I roll out the Customer Appreciation Upgrades – while everyone is getting some additional storage and bandwidth – I am making some changes under the hood to all servers, what are those changes? Here’s a breakdown per-service:
- Removing Frontpage Support 100% from the fleet – it has not been supported and likely in time will become a security risk. However webDAV support is active on all servers so you can manage/publish your website with Frontpage just need to adjust things to a webDAV connection!
- PHP Upgrade – Going to move all servers from 5.2. builds (which ended support in 2010) to 5.3 – so a good time to ensure your scripts are up to date! But if you hit any snags, assistance will be available to help get upgraded.
- Ruby Activated on all accounts/servers – Some have asked about the Ruby Platform, some accounts/servers had it as a new build, however going to roll it out for general use and access. Unsure about ruby? Here is some info about it.
- Upgrading MySQL to 5.x builds – will still offer support for 4.x configuration options and password support, however to stay safe & secure in the long-run this will be happening to all servers by years end. If you have any concerns? Please touch base with me.
- Adding PostgreSQL to all servers, a few customers have requested it, and it is rolled out in a few configurations – this will be added for all, cPanel will reflect options for databases as well.
- Migration from Courier IMAP -> Dovecot. Uses fewer system resources, and has some great configuration options – too some Blackberry support – and has worked well on newer server configurations.
- Continued Adjustments on ASSP filtering, going to have a video guide next month of some tips and tricks to get things even more fine tuned for you!
- Full SSL support with signed SSL certificate for server hostname – if you want to go SECURE connection change your email settings from mail.yourdomain.com to the server hostname, ie. If you login to cPanel and it becomes “shepherd.flockhosting.com” that’s your server’s hostname.
- Begin offering of Jailed Shell to established customers – this will be announced in greater detail soon.
- webDAV support for WebDRIVE for all customers.
- SSL FTP – You can connect securely to FTP using the server hostname.
- Continued Growth of Tutorials in Knowledge Base
- Improved Integration of Communicate Options into your Profile
- Guides on setting up Authorized Users to your account
- Loyalty Group for Discounts & Special Sales
But that’s the list – this will all begin working thru the day, watch in the evenings on Twitter/Facebook/Announcements on billing for heads up on detailed maintenance which may require some minor downtime with a server reboot – I will be doing my best to plan these out and try to give at least 7 days lead time so you are aware of something coming up.
The Promo Code!
It’s fall! And why not a promo! Thru November 2nd the promo code ITSFALL will get you 15% off your oder! This is a one time discount, so if you want savings on a larger scale, snag 6/12 months of service and you’ll save even more! No limit on number of uses, share with a friend!
I want to say thanks again to all who have showed support for me in the upcoming end of my Day Job, I really appreciate the emails, chats, etc. been very supportive! I know God has a plan for all of this, and I know that I am going to be putting in even more time to FlockHosting, some great ideas coming in from fellow FlockHosters which I want to see come together! So stay tuned! Good things ahead, and your continued prayers as always are greatly appreciated!