Welcome to the first part of a series of posts on building a website – Now these are not a complete and comprehensive resource, there is always custom coding, advanced elements you could do, but this is more of a guide in getting starting and publishing a simple website that will get you online and give you some basic learning in the process. So let’s dive in!
If you want your site building no matter how you are building it – you need to plan it out. The idea of just buying a domain and suddenly you are “Online” is one which as I’ve seen time and time again bring a site to be done about 25% of the way then you are unsure where to go, and you simply walk away, to “Work on it another day” and we all know how that goes 50% of the time.
I’ve done it so many times with my project websites, I have a rough plan for 45% of the site, and the rest will “get done” as I go along, but so far there is a project or three that I need to finish, and I’ve settled to working on continual Google Docs to work on it on the go, while I’m trying to get a baby to sleep, or when I’m in a resting spot with a project.
So how to do it? Well I’m going to use one way that’s free, but again feel free to adapt as you see fit.
Using Google Drive
I love Google Drive, if you have a Android or iOS Smartphone you can get the Drive application from Google and in your Gmail account you can create a folder of all your content. So if you are unsure, login to http://drive.google.com and you’ll do the following steps:
1. Create a new folder and give it a simple name, I used “My Website” but if can be anything to identify what your website information.
2. Now you have your new folder, its blank and ready to create some written information.
3. Create a document, rename it based upon the page you want to create: for instance, I made homepage.
4. Build your Pages! A separate doc for each page you want to create!
5. Have others help with editing, just share to an email, and give them permission to edit with you! You can both work on it in real-time if needed!
Now the great thing about Google Drive is you can drag in ANY file, so if you have more resources to add in like photos or a logo, just drag them into the folder you created and it will all be there when you are ready to go!
Explore in this what works for you, some folks use Folders to build out sub-pages like About Us folder = all sub pages in About Us like maybe Company Information, or Contact Us, build those pages out however you like, but don’t be afraid to try something different! This is again just a guideline not a “DO THIS OR YOUR SITE WILL FAIL!” — Everyone is different and there are plenty of options!
Part two in two weeks! Stay tuned!